Thursday, August 20, 2009

What is Trance?

Now I suppose this has to do with explaining a little abt what the name of the blog is. A State of Trance? What is trance? Pls, oh pls, do NOT confuse trance with techno. They are a far cry from each other.

Trance has an ethereal quality to its tune. It is uplifting. Euphoric. It brings u to the next plane of existence even. I will not go into further distinguishing techno. Suffice to say it is nothing like trance.

Trance is for the cultured. It is like sipping a cuppa tea over an afternoon high tea with ur pinkie sticking out. It is music for the refined gentleman, infused with a beat like none other. It is melodious to the point it brings tears to those who feel the music move them.

But I am not going into Oxford's dictionary of what trance is... I am going to tell u trance as it is to me. It all began for me waaaay back. Sometime in the early 1990s when this group called Opus III had a lead singer (Kirsty Hawkshaw) lending her vocals to the haunting tune of "It's a Fine Day".

Youtube has a live performance of Opus III and Kirsty's performance of "It's a Fine Day", now if u can just ignore the dancing and the atrocious hairstyle and focus on the beat and tune...



Following that, if u have ever watched the 1st Mortal Kombat movie, the group Orbital produced a song called Halcyon+On+On which samples Opus III's "It's a Fine Day".



Now these are probably my earliest reference points for trance. How old was I? Perhaps primary school when it first started. Trance transcends all ages, languages, races. It is music tt speaks to u without the need for words.

So if u still tell me its a "beng" thing? Pls, get it right. U're prob referring to techno.

No comments:

Post a Comment